Port of Los Angeles waterfront investment provides $ 4 million for 4 projects – Daily Breeze

The Port of Los Angeles has announced new waterfront access projects that will receive some $ 4 million.

The Thursday 23 September announcement was expected much earlier, but the program was rocked by uncertainties caused by the coronavirus pandemic – a reality that was reflected in lower than expected number of rewards.

Funding for the grant comes from the Public Access Investment Plan launched by the Port of LA in 2015, allocating 10% of the port’s operating revenue each year to improving visitor access.

The plan will expire in 2025.

The pandemic suspended allocations until June of this year. In the meantime, costs have risen, Michael Galvin, director of Waterfront and Commercial Real Estate at the port, told port commissioners on Thursday. The budget, he said, was constrained this time accordingly. Going forward, the commitment remains to provide a total of $ 400 million before the end of the program.

New projects that received money included:

  • San Pedro Waterfront Connectivity Plan: $ 500,000 for a plan that would explain how to connect the new waterfront development to the downtown shopping and dining district.
  • Harbor Boulevard Drive Improvements: $ 1.4 million to $ 1.6 million.
  • Cabrillo Marine Aquarium: $ 900,000 for the establishment’s support for its many collections of living marine life.
  • Wilmington Youth Sailing Center: $ 1.2 million.

Funding commitments from the first years of the plan, amounting to approximately $ 233.7 million to date, have paid for improvements to Harbor Boulevard and Seventh Street, a plaza in the town of San Pedro (which is slated to open in October) and the promenade through the West Harbor development. It also funded Wilmington’s future waterfront promenade, Harry Bridges Boulevard beautification and a Wilmington Waterfront pedestrian bridge.

However, not making the list this time around, there was money to help move the battleship Iowa to the SP Slip and closer to the waterfront redevelopment site. It would cost around $ 18 million, Galvin said.

Port commissioner Anthony Pirozzi said funding to at least begin engineering work on this project should be an immediate commitment.

The commissioners said the grant program had been a positive addition to the port’s efforts to reinvest money in the community, but also expressed concern over the drop in the latest round of allowances and whether the he total target of $ 400 million will be reached in just four more years.

“The port has placed a burden on the community,” said Commissioner Diane Middleton, “so this is a good example of providing benefits, showing that we are trying to be good neighbors. “

Sign up for The Localist, our daily email newsletter with handpicked stories related to where you live. Subscribe here.
Source link

About Joan Dow

Check Also

Seeking backers for new fund, Jared Kushner turns to Middle East

That spring, a few months later, Mr. Kushner managed to convince his stepfather to make …